Followers

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Stadium Day

I was thrilled to receive an invitation to a "media event" at Landshark Stadium for "a big announcement".  I read my emails as Lou and I were leaving the beach on Saturday and rushed home to email an acceptance.  I didn't know whether I made it or not, as they said that only 150 people could attend and that the invitation was non-transferable.  Finally, I got an email on Tuesday, confirming my invitation for Wednesday morning at the stadium.  I guess it's going to be my "home away from home" for the next two weeks, so I memorized the route - which lanes to use, what exit to take, where to park, etc.  Thank goodness for Sunpass!!!

It took me exactly 30 minutes from the house to a parking space at the stadium, which was surprising.  It's only the next exit down on the turnpike, but it took me 15 minutes to get to the turnpike entrance, which is only about 4 miles away. Ahh...traffic.

The parking area was WAY too far from the stadium, so I thanked my lucky stars that I had comfy shoes.  The guard at the gate said to go to entrance "G" when I told him I was a Superbowl Ambassador.  I signed in at the registration desk and went inside.  Now, previously, I had only been to a meeting room on the second floor, so had NO idea how to get into the stadium.  Being the strong, independent woman that I am, I decided to follow the best dressed crowd.  Right down to the VIP section - two rows from the stage.

There were TONS of video and still cameras - so many that you couldn't see the stage.  If I had been a few rows back, I would have been able to see over the heads of the photographers.  Pretty soon, this human sized stuffed dolphin arrives on the scene.  It didn't take me long to figure out it was the mascot for the Miami Dolphins.  Get it?  Duh!!! He had a stupid helmet on his "head" that was ten sizes too small and acted as I guess a mascot should act. The first thing he did was to try and get a "wave" going.  Now, this was only the second time I had ever been on or near a football field.  The first and last time was at the stadium in Tampa at a Tampa Bucaneers game - probably in 1991.  I had never seen "the wave", other than on TV and had no idea what to do.  So, I just acted like a snobby VIP and ignored the whole thing.

I figured out later that many of the VIP's were employees of Sun Life Financial from the Boston headquarters.  The women were all dressed in black, with Coach, Dooney & Burke, Dolce & Gabanna, and Louis Vuitton accessories - purses, sunglasses, Blackberry covers, etc.  Each of them looked like they had no makeup on (other than eye make-up), no lipstick (neutral gloss only), and french manicured SQUARE nails.  Not one of them could have been over 35.  I thought they were babies.  (Then I remembered that I was at my career peak when I was in my mid-thirties.) I was SO glad it was 80 degrees.  I could watch them sweat.

The meeting came to order...it started with the CEO from Sun Life Financial announcing that the stadium was going to be changing its name to the "Sun Life" stadium.  He then introduced the international marketing director (and VP) - a black chick with buck teeth.  Damn - wish one of us white gals could get a job like that.  Anyway - the "announcements" and "thank you's".  The invitation stated that it was a "mini concert" and I was waiting for the entertainment.  I figured that Jennifer Lopez & Marc Anthony would be performing, since they own part of the Dolphins, as do Gloria and Emilio Estefan.  Nope ,,, it was...

KC AND THE SUNSHINE BAND! One of my favorite groups! "Shake Your Booty" - and I did just that.  Everyone was clapping, waving, singing and generally having a great time. It would have been more fun if I knew someone.  But..."oh well". I'll make my own fun.


What a great way to kick off two weeks of ProBowl/Superbowl festivities???  I took some video but don't think I can post it, but I'll try.  At least here are some pictures...






No comments: