Followers

Friday, January 01, 2010

Meet "TWEETY"


On Tuesday, December 29th, Frank took me up to Stuart, where he owns a home.  The plan was for me to clean out the spa and clean the back porch while he cut the grass and worked in the yard. Frank decided he would rather have me go to Walmart and get cleaning supplies and some provisions than clean the porch, as he didn’t think the grass needed to be cut just yet.


This plan worked out great, as he had laundry to do and I had brought some laundry of mine. (The washer in my place has been broken for five months – it leaks gallons of water onto the floor) 


I’m standing in the laundry room waiting for the rinse cycle when I spot what looks like an old bike.  It was filthy and pitted from the elements but her lines were just BEAUTIFUL.  She reminded me of the bike I had when I was about 12 years old.  As I’m admiring the bike, I realize that it has GEARS.  I don’t remember if my bike had gears or not but if it did, there were only three gears.  This bike had a control on the handle similar to a throttle on a motorcycle and I could tell it had quite a few gears. The body color is lemon chiffon yellow and she has whitewall tires.  BIG tires, too.  And a big seat – not the pubic killer like on the mountain bike.


I forgot about the bike, as we were going out to dinner.  Frank was the recipient of a relaxing massage and an early bedtime, as he hadn’t slept since getting off work at 7 a.m. Then, the next day, it was up to Melbourne to have lunch with Charlene and Charles.  Afterwards, we hit a produce market and a natural foods store.  Then to Publix, where we picked up the ingredients for Chicken Caesar Salad.  After a yummy dinner, we hopped into the spa for an hour or two. After a shower to rinse off the chlorine, we slept like babies.
The next morning, Frank had one more load to do.  When I got his clothes out of the dryer, my eyes fell on the bike again and my tummy did a little flip because she was just so beautiful.  I finally asked Frank about the bike.  He said he had bought it for an old girlfriend but she couldn’t ride it so he kept it after they split up.  I’m thinking “couldn’t ride it????” How could anybody NOT ride it.  He says “do you want to ride it?”  Hell YES, say I.  I take off down the street and I get that old feeling that I used to get when I was 12, riding down the street with the wind in my hair and not a care in the world – free from earthly bounds. (And parental supervision, I’m sure)
 



When I get back, Frank says, “so would you like it?” (I’m certain he meant to use it, not to have it) YAY, I’m thinking – I LOVE that bike and ask him if we can bring it back to Hollywood.  He says “sure”. YAY again. On the way out, he stops at a bike shop and gets the support rack for two collapsible side baskets for the back.  It already has a removable basket in the front.



When I got home, I washed and dried her and proceeded to scrub the pitting off.  Frank was able to get rid of it completely, but I think it takes a strong hand and some elbow grease.  I’ve been steadily working on it and will continue until it’s perfect.  I’m going to get streamers for the handlebars and ribbons for the front basket. And a water bottle holder. And a bell. And a rear view mirror. Can you tell I’m excited??? I can’t WAIT to take her to the Hollywood Beach Broadwalk soon.  Too bad it’s cold right now. Soon, though.
 

Want to know why I called her “Tweety”??? Because she’s yellow and she came from my tweety!!  (Get it? “sweetie”)



So...Here's TWEETY





 


No comments: