Followers

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Cinco de Mayo

Cinco de Mayo actually fell on a Friday night. The Mexicans have a joke around here that only gringos celebrate the holiday as an excuse to get drunk. At any rate, that's whatcha do, I guess. I was going to meet a friend at a local Mexican restaurant, El Zocalo. (Which is walking distance from my apartment.) She said she would get there about 5:15 and get us a table. I worked kinda late and was on my way when she called and said that there were NO TABLES available and that there was a TWO HOUR WAIT! She put our names in and I decided that we'd go to the Elephant Bar for cocktails and appetizers. It's a great place - decorated like a jungle, but very tasteful and upscale. The door handles are actually bronze elephants. She had coconut shrimp and I had calamari and we each had two Belvedere martinis. MMMMMMM We stayed and chatted for a couple of hours and I couldn't figure out where to go next. Believe it or not, I'm not well acquainted with places to go "out". She decided to call El Zocalo and guess what??? Our table was ready. Since we had already eaten heavy appetizers, we munched on nachos, had a few margaritas and decided to go to another bar where we heard that they had kareoke. Now I LOVE kareoke - to listen OR participate. The people who got up were very good - you could tell they had done their songs before. The problem was that the songs were all current pop songs. I hardly knew a one! Oh well, it was a fun night anyway. More later!

No comments: