Followers

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Road Trip 2009 - Part One

Since I was taking so many classes with the Red Cross, I didn’t have as much time to pack for my road trip as I would have liked. That meant that I didn’t leave as early as I had wanted to but was able to get away by 4:00. Gypsy was out to dinner with a friend, so I stopped at Longdogger’s and picked up some wings while I waited for her. Of course, girlfriends MUST take up the first few hours of a visit catching up on one another’s lives. Thus, we didn’t venture out. It was so hot the next day that we spent the day IN the pool, versus laying out in the sun. When I got to Charlene’s that afternoon at 5:30, it was 92 degrees in the shade. I had picked up California Pizza Kitchen pizza and ice cream, so dinner was done. When Charlene got home from work, we played bowling on the Wii. I have just GOT to get myself one of those. For the fitness programs, of course. (Yea, right) Today is Saturday and I fixed breakfast for everyone. Charlene went to the office and when she came back we were going to the beach. When she got back, she told everyone how brutally hot it was outside with no breeze. We all agreed that we’d go to the beach later in the afternoon or tomorrow morning. So, here we all were sitting – Charles on a video game, Charlene on her laptop, me on my laptop and Mac watching golf. We’re happily together but doing our own thing. All of a sudden…dead quiet. The TV went off, the air went off and we realized that the power was out. Charlene called FLP & L and found out that the power was out in 1400 homes and wouldn’t be back on for a couple of hours. Honestly, you have never seen four people scramble so fast to get to the beach. Yes, it was hot – 98 degrees. But the water was cool and there was a breeze. On the way back, we drove downtown and found that all of the restaurants and businesses in the area were without power. We concluded that when we got back to the house, we’d sit in the shade and turn on the sprinklers. Thank goodness, the power was on. Tonight, we’re going to have Charlene’s lasagna and play games. We plan on getting up early and heading back to the beach tomorrow. We’ll see – it’s a “play it by ear” kind of thing. PS – guess what?!? Mel Fisher’s boat and crew are offshore, just a few miles south of here. This isn’t called the “Treasure Coast” for nothing. A fun night of GREAT food (her lasagna is to DIE for),family games, a good night’s sleep and then hit the beach again…but only for a couple of hours. Deadly hot again. The temp in the shade? 100 degrees. Leaving late this afternoon (after another helping of Charlene’s wonderful lasagna) to head up to mom & dad’s. Hopefully, I’ll have some pictures to share soon. Sunday, June 22, 2000 Got to the folks place around 8 last night. By the time we chatted for a few minutes, it was bedtime. (For them – not me) Today, the heat is once again brutal. They do nothing but sit on the screened-in porch and read the paper or watch TV – so they can chain smoke, of course. Oh well, no changing the stripes at this stage of the game. Today has been slow. I’m inside, watching the US Open. Ahhhhhh cool. Monday, June 23rd - had a wonderful day with my mom, just laughing and enjoying being together. I trimmed her toenails - they were starting to curl under!!! I fixed turkey, mashed potatoes and peas for dinner. I think that this is the first time my father got a turkey for Father's Day. A turkey for a turkey!!! Get it? On Tuesday morning, my mom got it in her head that I had criticized her housekeeping skills (which I did NOT - nor would I) and told me to go home. We left for Atlanta around 8:30. I believe that Ginger even got wind of the negativity in the air - she sat in the back almost the whole way to Atlanta. She normally sits in the passenger seat and insists on having my hand touching her somewhere. Oh well - another adventure coming up! Part Two next!

No comments: