Followers

Friday, January 13, 2006

A Beginning and an End

2005 Ends and 2006 is eagerly awaited

My sister, Corrie, arrived in Arizona on December 9th, 2005. She quit smoking on the 10th and got a job a week later. We spent one evening at the Desert Botanical Gardens annual "Las Noches de las Luminarias" where this picture was taken. She also went with me to a Christmas party at the Irish Cultural Center where we learned Irish folk dancing a/k/a "Irish Squaredancing". I left on December 21st for my Christmas in Vegas (coming later) and returned on the 28th. She took great care of the dogs and we enjoyed our "belated" Christmas on New Year's Eve. It was a nice way to end an old and very exhausting year for both of us.

She picked me up at the airport on the 28th. Here is an account (from my perspective) of what happened that fateful day:

Had a quiet flight, exit row, from Las Vegas to Phoenix. Plane arrived on time. Went to Baggage Claim. Bags came out pretty quick. I had told Corrie to plan on picking me up around 1:30 and I had my bags by 1:10. So…I went to the south side exit, door 6, which seemed to be the quietest side. Decided to call Corrie & let her know where I was, just in case she was early. Here’s how the conversation went from there: Corrie "Hi – where the Hell are you?" Me (Quite proud of myself for being in such a convenient location for curbside pickup) "I’m on the south side of baggage claim at door number 6!" Corrie "What the Hell are you doing there???" Me "I thought it would be the most convenient place to pick me up." Corrie "Well I’m here at the gate that you’re supposed to be at with flowers in my hand waiting for you to come off the plane." Me "Well I’m off the plane and here with my bags." Corrie "Tell me exactly where you are and I’ll be right there." Three minutes later, Corrie shows up with flowers in hand. No problem, all we have to do is catch a bus to the parking garage. Corrie "I know exactly what bus to catch and wrote down exactly where the SUV is parked." Drag two suitcases and computer case to bus waiting area. Wait. Wait. Wait. After 15 minutes, decide to ask someone where to catch “Roadrunner” bus. (All we had seen was“Jackrabbit”) “Catch bus on other side of terminal.” Drag suitcases and computer case to bus waiting area on other side of terminal. Wait. Wait. Finally, here comes “Roadrunner”. Lug suitcases on bus. Run over people’s toes. Ride to parking garage. Lug suitcases from bus to truck. One hour after arrival. Carroll "I’ll drive – you’ve been batting zero so far."

After all of this fiasco, I got a phone call that neccesitated having to work for an

hour before we could even go home.

Upon arriving at the apartment, here were balloons tied with colorful ribbons - "Welcome Home". Under the Christmas tree (a/k/a the fake pre-lit palm tree), were presents wrapped in two shades of pink and decorated with feathers, beads and ribbon.

As previously mentioned, we celebrated Christmas on December 31st and had a wonderful time opening presents of sweaters, jewelry, toiletries, music, books, show tickets (Cirque du Soleil), and other treats and goodies.

1 comment:

Bobby said...

LOVE the Tree!
I had a Charlie Brown Christmas Tree this year in my cozy apartment in NYC